Monday, June 09, 2008

An Inward Journey



Recently, I have started to get into more of the mystical writings with my journey with God. I love scripture, and I have given my life to studying scripture. However, that often dominates my time with God, and so I am exploring other disciplines with my journey. I came across a book by Thomas Merton, who was an American monk. I had heard about Thomas Merton from Greg Boyd, a pastor in Minnesota who I listen to on Podcast. The book I am going through is "A Book of Hours." It is a book dedicated to praying the hours with Thomas Merton's reflections, poems, writings, and inward examinations. This quote is from today's reading during the "Day" portion of Monday: "Perhaps I would rather be guilty and weak in myself, than strong in Him whom I cannot understand." Wow. This statement has caused me to really look at myself. It is easy to proclaim God with your own strengths. But to truly rely on God, and be strong in God, who we can never fully understand. That is truly scary. And that's why God is Holy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ray!

Congrats! Sounds like it was a really great weekend for you! When is the big day?

The director of YFC in Geneva has a blog and he always has "Tuesdays with Thomas" or something like that...so I thought I would pass his blog to you!

http://joshuacase.net/


Hope you are doing well! Blessings to you my friend!